Since GTA V’s first release in 2013 a plethora of lakhs and thousands of custom mods have been made to support the game. The mod community is among the most enthusiastic gamers and that’s the case for every Rockstar Games creation. However, when you consider that GTA V is the studio’s most popular game to date, it’s easy to understand that GTA V would have the most mod-friendly support. One of the biggest issues that players face when playing mods is understanding how to install and download them to ensure they function in game. This can be difficult for those who may not be the best at technology. Additionally, there’s the problem of figuring out what changes to put in place in 2022 nearly 9 years since the game initially launched. Below, players can find exactly how to download the mods for GTA V and which ones they should first consider installing.
Downloading Mods in GTA V
Before players are able to decide the mods to install, they must be aware of how to download the mods. It is important to note that players are not allowed to make use of mods when playing in single-player mode the game, as Rockstar Games had forbidden the use of mods in GTA Online. If players try to play GTA Online with mods enabled it could result in an exclusion. There are a variety of steps involved in downloading mods within GTA V. The first part of the procedure is described below.
- Go to OpenIV.com and press the Download Now green button on the homepage.
- Download the application from your browser, and then follow the steps to install the application will lay out
- Once the installation is completed, open OpenIV and choose Windows in the Grand Theft Auto V box
- Enter the file path for the game directory of GTA V (should look like C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\)
- Press Continue, and then click the Tools box that is located on the taskbar at the top of OpenIV
- Click on ASI Manager. Install ASI Loader as well as OpenIV.ASI. Choose Yes when asked.
What this process gives players is the ability for downloading and managing their GTA V mods. Users can access the OpenIV application anytime to monitor whether their modifications are in good condition and uninstall the mods, or change the mods. The next step in the process is to find physical mods that can be downloaded.
- Go to: GTA 5 mods – Best Modding
- Select a mod that you wish to download. You can pick a particular class of mods on the site
- After a mod is selected Click on the box, and then click the green button to download it.
- Some mods will download the .rar download file for your web browser. Other mods will take you to the Github page that will show the latest version of the mod to download the file.
- If the mod downloaded is a .rar file, you’ll require another program in order to view it for instance, 7-Zip File Management, which is available for download on the Microsoft Store
- After your .rar open file has been opened you’ll likely find a ReadMe file that you can open in Notepad. It will provide you with instructions on how to download the mod
- If a mod is listed on an Github page you can download the most recent version. The mod will be downloaded in a zip file that you have to extract to another folder on your computer.
- After the files have been extracted Copy then paste them to the Mods folder on the computer’s GTA V game directory. This is the same directory you have entered into the path to the files for the OpenIV application.
- Start GTA V once you’ve copied and pasted the contents of your file in your GTA V directory or followed the instructions to open the .rar file
This process is not limited to the general mods available for download, there’s also mods that make use of scripts. This requires a different mod, called Script Hook in order to function.
- Download Community Script Hook V .NET, by Alexander Blade
- Start the file and extract the contents to another folder on your computer.
- Paste the contents of the file into the directory for games within GTA V, but don’t put them in a specific folder.
- Create a brand new folder in the game directory
- Visit best-modding.com and choose an option to download a script modification (these are typically identified with .net)
- Unzip the Mod file then extract it time
- Paste and copy the content of your file to the newly created folder in your GTA V directory.
- Start GTA V and make sure that you follow the instructions to use the mod by the mod’s creator. These directions is available in the best-modding.com page about the mod
After all these actions are done Once all of those steps are completed, players can begin using mods without restriction after which they can begin to use mods GTA V.