Your Android device may be running out of storage, so you might be wondering how to delete apps. Deleting an app is an easy process that doesn’t take a lot of time. However, the process may vary depending on the device you own and what version of Android it uses.
Let’s take a closer look at all the different ways you can delete an app from your Android device, how to remove system apps, and more. Let’s begin.
How to delete apps on your Android device
Option 1: Delete the app from settings
Usually, the app will be deleted from your device in a matter of seconds. Once the process is completed, you’ll be redirected back to the Apps menu, where you can repeat the process again.
- Open your device’s settings.
- Tap on Apps or App manager.
- If you need help finding the right app, scroll through the list.
Option 2: Uninstall or delete apps through the Google Play Store
By visiting the Play Store, you can delete apps you don’t want by finding them and launching Play Store. Then open the Settings section, select My apps & games, and click Uninstall.
If you wish to get rid of more apps, just tap the back button on your smartphone or tablet and go to the Installed section again.
Step by step instructions:
- Go to the Play Store app on your device.
- Click on Settings.
- Tap on My apps & games.
- Locate the Installed section.
- Then, tap on the app you want to uninstall. Scroll down to find the right one.
Option 3: Delete the apps from your app drawer.
This is the best way to completely remove apps from your android phone or tablet, provided that it works for your device. If for some reason this doesn’t work, just use either one of the other two methods listed above.
It’s easy to do. Just open up your app drawer and tap the app you want to get rid of and drag it to the folder you see on the screen that says Uninstall. Then you just tap OK on the pop-up window asking you if you want to uninstall it.
Not only does this process work for apps in your app drawer but also for applications on your home screen.
- On the home screen or in the app drawer, tap and hold an app.
- Drag it to the Uninstall section that appears on the screen.
- If the pop-up appears, tap OK.
Step 4: Uninstall or Delete Apps on Home Screen
It may be faster to uninstall an app directly from the app’s shortcut on your home screen.
- Tap and hold the shortcut for the app you wish to uninstall from the home screen, then drag it to the top of the screen.
- ‘Uninstall’: Drop the app icon on top of the Uninstall option.
You may not be able to use this on all Android devices, but you can try it out to find out.
Note that you may see ‘Remove’ in addition to ‘Uninstall’. This will only remove the app’s icon from the home screen, not remove it. To verify this, open the app drawer and find the app’s shortcut.
How to delete apps from Amazon’s Fire devices
There are some exceptions to the rule though. Among these are Amazon’s Fire devices that have a very customized version of Android.
Deleting apps on a Fire is quite different from other Android devices, but still easy. If you are on your home screen, tap the Apps tab. Then just select Device from the left hand menu, press and hold an app you want to remove, and select Remove from device. Simple, right?
- Tap the Apps icon from the home screen.
- Click on the Device tab.
- If you want to remove an app, just tap and hold it.
- Tap on Remove from device.
How to remove pre-installed apps
Android devices often come pre-installed with a multitude of different apps, including Gmail, YouTube, Facebook, and more. You may also find your device comes preloaded with apps the manufacturer or your carrier does not want you to use. In most cases, the apps you have already downloaded cannot be uninstalled from your device quite as easily as those you downloaded yourself. Thus, you will not have an Uninstall button at the end of the process, as shown below.
System apps cannot be deleted, and you can only be rid of them by rooting your device. If you’re not familiar with the term rooting, it means getting access to commands, system data, and folder locations typically not available to normal users.
It is easier to think of rooting as moving from being a system user to becoming a root user, with the added freedom and risk of taking control over deeper workings of your device.
If your device allows it, you can simply hide the system apps you don’t want to use from the app drawer. This won’t delete the apps, but at least they’ll be less likely to clutter your app drawer.
Can I delete the apps I purchased?
People are concerned that deleting apps they purchased from the Play Store will force them to buy them again later. This, of course, will not be the case. You can delete an app once and then download it again for free.
After deleting an app, it will appear as “Purchased” on the Play Store. To use it again, just open the app, tap the download button, and you’re good to go. No payment is required.
Uninstall or delete apps and programs in Windows 10
You can uninstall apps by going to Settings > Apps > Apps & features. The program list here displays all the Windows Universal and desktop apps on your PC, so find the one you want to remove from the list and choose Uninstall.
Delete or Uninstall the program via the Start menu
- Click Start and you’ll see a list of programs.
- Then right-click on the app and select Uninstall.
Uninstall from the Settings page
- Simply select the Start menu, and then select Settings > Apps > App & Features. Or just click the shortcut link at the bottom of the article.
- Choose the app you want to uninstall, and then click Uninstall.
Uninstall from the Control Panel (for programs)
- In the search box on the taskbar, type Control Panel and click on it.
- Click on Programmes > Programs & Features.
- Click and hold the program you want to uninstall (or right-click) and then select Uninstall or Uninstall/Change. Then follow the instructions on the screen.
Delete or remove apps from iPhone
It is easy to remove apps from your iPhone. If you change your mind, you can download the apps again later.
Many iPhone users already know how simple it is to uninstall an app. You just need to hold down an app until all the apps start shaking, then select Remove App.
Then tap Delete again to confirm this is what you wanted to do and to uninstall the app from your phone.
When you do this, the app gets removed from your home screen…but it isn’t completely removed. There is still a copy of the app in your Apple account, and it may get added back to your phone accidentally during an update or sync. Permanently removing an app from your iTunes library, Apple account, or settings takes a few more steps. They’re actions that you’d want to do if you’re worried about someone spying on you.
Follow these steps:
- Remove an app from the Home Screen: Touch and hold the app on the Home Screen, tap Remove App, then tap Delete App.
- Touch and hold a Home Screen app in the App Library. Tap the Delete App icon, then tap the Delete button. (See Find your apps in the App Library.)
You can redownload apps you have removed if you change your mind.
Deleting apps is simple and quick and can be done in different ways on most devices. It’s always a good idea to delete apps you don’t use because it takes up space in your device and keeps your app drawer less cluttered.
Hopefully, we’ve now successfully taught you how to delete apps on your Android, iPhone, Google Play Store, Amazon’s Fire devices, and Windows.